Most O&G companies have seen their prices battered by the fallout in global oil prices. Every investor has the same curiosity in his or her mind – when is the right time to invest in O&G stocks again…
It is reasonable to believe that significant correlation exists between the shares prices of O&G stocks and global oil prices. We have chosen to perform a quick statistical test on the relationship of ICE Brent Crude Oil against the share prices (since Jan 2014) of three (3) selected Malaysian listed O&G companies, namely Coastal Contracts, Favelle Favco and Sapurakencana Petroleum.
- Significant relationship is established between crude oil prices and shares prices of these three (3) selected MY O&G companies (with r-squared of 0.74 for Favelle Favco, 0.89 for Coastal and 0.94 for SK Petro). The lower the r-squared, the less precise the formula in forecasting the target price for the counter.
- Certain formulas can be derived to forecast the target price of these 3 stocks based on crude oil price
- It appears that Coastal is fairly valued, as the formula forecasts a target price of RM1.63 (based on current crude price of USD31.46/bbl) if compared to its actual share price of RM1.53
- For Favelle Favco and SK Petro, these two counters appear to be trading higher than its respective target prices as predicted by the derived formulas
- It is important to understand that this analysis is a simple desktop analysis and requires further fine-tuning. As to when it is the right time to invest in O&G sector, we must first satisfy our self what is the expected floor price for the global oil price, thereafter, to dwell into detailed fundamental analysis about selected counters.
DISCLAIMER: THIS SITE IS FOR INFORMATION AND ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT PURPORT TO SHOW ACTUAL RESULTS. IT IS NOT, AND SHOULD NOT BE REGARDED AS INVESTMENT ADVICE OR AS A RECOMMENDATION REGARDING ANY PARTICULAR SECURITY OR COURSE OF ACTION. SOURCES USED IN THIS SITE HAVE NOT BEEN INDEPENDENTLY VERIFIED FOR ACCURACY. YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDENT AND PROFESSIONAL INVESTMENT ADVICE IN REGARD TO YOUR INVESTMENT DECISIONS.